What is a footmuff?
A footmuff is like a hooded sleeping bag that you can put in the pram on colder days to keep your child warm and comfortable. They are designed as an accessory for prams (or car seats) that can be securely attached to the harnesses so it won’t fall off. Most footmuffs are compatible with almost all modern prams.
Here's 3 reasons why you need a footmuff:
- Comfort: Babies are sensitive to heat and vulnerable to weather changes. Footmuffs can offer both warmth and comfort during outdoor walks without having to overdress your baby. It provides more wiggle room for your child. Most are waterproof which means your little one will stay cosy and dry.
- Safety: Blankets are usually kicked off and end up on the floor, which can be dangerous if it gets caught under the pram's wheels. Footmuffs are secured and fastened to the pram, so you don’t need to worry about it falling or uncovering your baby.
- Functionality: Footmuffs are practical and functional when leaving the house or while travelling. It's easier to move your baby from the car directly to a warm stroller or to use the footmuff as a layer while changing nappies and clothes.
What to consider when choosing a footmuff?
- Material Quality: An important aspect is the fabric used in the footmuff since it comes in direct contact with your baby’s skin. A footmuff is made of layers of cotton or fleece from the inside that will keep your baby warm. Make sure that the footmuff has a water-resistant exterior to offer your child protection against moisture and keep your baby dry.
- Temperature: Footmuffs are designed to be used all-year-round. Make sure to pay attention to the footmuff temperature rating choosing the one that provides warmth without overheating the baby. Tip: Opt for a universal footmuff that has detachable layers that can be added or removed as needed. Our Baby Nursery's Nordic Footmuff comes with a Pram Liner so when the weather gets cool, zip it on the footmuff. The footmuff zips directly to the liner and ensures a cosy and draft-free ride.
- Size and Child's Age: Depending on your child’s age you need to choose whether the footmuff is designed only for newborns or is made for toddler use also. Some footmuffs are designed to be extendable through zippered bottoms and can be lengthened as the child grows.
- Adaptability: Make sure that the footmuff can be inserted to the pram which attaches securely through the harness fixings. You should be able to detach it quickly when you need to wash it. Most footmuffs are designed to be used with either a 5-point harness system, a 3-point harness system or with both. Ensure that the footmuff is compatible with your pram.